Considering we have lots of self-esteem, Spring Break 2k10 is NOT really the spring break you might imagine, especially since it takes place in Naples, Florida. The Varsity baseball team as well as lots of old people are sharing our vacation destination.
It is my first Gluten-Free Vacation, which at first seems a little sad, especially in a place fraught with family traditions full of glutenous delights. However, I am traveling with none other than my GF inspiration, Betsy, who knows her way around vacation food!
Also, we are both passionate about reading, writing, Africa, gender issues, the color green, OD-ing on Lilly Pulitzer in college, chocolate, pedicures, tanning (outdoor of course), flexibility, traveling not-so-light, the Indigo Girls, cats named after Cats, sweet potatoes, clear carbonated beverages, Joe’s jeans, slow-and-steady running, coffee, peas, the outdoors…just to name a few.
We had an amazing day yesterday (Dear Reader, sorry if you are reading this at your desk. Love, Moxie).
Here’s my top ten list in reverse/chronological order.
1. Wake up: no alarm. Glorious.
2. Breakfast on the porch: Gluten free cinnamon english muffin (should English be capitalized?) Betsy brought from Sally’s Bakery with cream cheese and homemade Jam. Delish
3. Coffee shop time: Finished paper on Sexuality and Identity for my gender class and turned it in (!) at Panera over hazelnut coffee. (side note: I read some great books in preparation for the paper that I will write about in a later post.)
4. We went grocery shopping at an organic market, where we bought food for the week for under $100. Amazing. Granted we both packed things like 4 eggs, 1/4 package of granola, airplane peanuts, half a half gallon of milk, 1/3 bag of farmstand spinach…so we had the basics covered, but STILL. If you don’t count booze (which we don’t) it almost meets the $7/day rule. Not bad, especially since it’s all organic.
5. Lunch: Chicken salad on greens, vegetable chips, sliced Gala apple. Perfect beach lunch.
6. PLEASURE reading at the pool: It’s still a little chilly/windy for the beach. I just started (per Betsy’s suggestion of course) Barbara Kingsolver’s newest novel, Lacuna. More to come on that as well.
7. Run/Walk on Gulfshore Blvd. North: Flat, sunny, breezy…it was perfect run/walk weather. And I’m allegedly running a 10K in a week, so it’s time to get started.
8. Sunset Happy Hour: We watched the sun set over the Gulf after raiding the liquor cabinet (thanks, Dad). Betsy prepared an amazing plate of apps for us. Parmesan cheese and dates on Glutino crackers (or plain), farmstand carrots and hummus. It was a perfectly clear, Green Flash night!
9. Dinner: We recreated a recipe we made last week at my house. GF pizza (dough I froze and brought from home) with goat cheese, caramelized onions, pears, and rosemary. It was awesome, and we have leftovers for lunch! Salad with watermelon beets, Crasins, red onion, and balsamic. Red wine, of course. We drank Bliss, an organic Cab. Bliss actually describes it well.
10. Reading and journal time before an early bedtime…(Betsy stayed up to watch Duke whamp UNC)
It’s going to be a good week.